A Conversation with Kelsey Chow

Frank Robinson

Rachel asks Kelsey a hard-hitting question about Dylan and Cole Sprouse.

After the Friday Homecoming game, Sentinel Reporter Rachel McCutchen, along with Sentinel Photographers Toby Brock and Frank Robinson, sat down with Kelsey Chow. The following is their conversation (slightly edited and condensed for clarity).

Rachel: What is your favorite memory while at Hammond?

Kelsey: My favorite memory was, now that we are sitting here, probably in the Kiva. And I remember Dr. Barks. He would come in and all the kids would be on the floor in the Kiva, and he would sit in the middle of us and tell stories. They were the best stories.

Rachel: Do you have a favorite memory of a certain teacher? Did you have Dr. Ragan?

Kelsey: I think Dr. Ragan is maybe the best teacher of all time.

Frank: I think he’ll be here for a while.

Kelsey: Yeah, right? He’s here to stay.

Rachel: You started One Tree Hill when you were a freshman, right?

Kelsey: I did. I found out my first day of high school. It was really nerve-racking. I remember going to Hardee’s and that’s where I found out, and then I went back to school to tell my best friends. It was unimaginable.

Rachel: Tell me about your experience juggling school and acting.

Kelsey: My mom and I would drive up three hours to Wilmington. I missed a lot of school, but I would never have been able to have a job and live a normal life where I could hang out with my friends, go to Prom, and graduate, without Hammond. Everyone was so understanding and always helped me with my assignments.

Rachel: But even [then] was it still stressful?

Kelsey: Oh yeah, of course. And because I was a minor, I always had three hours of schooling on set. But I don’t know, I was so excited–it was such a dream job as well that I was just really happy to do both.

Toby: Did you ever think about homeschooling?

Kelsey: I don’t think my mom would have liked that. I wouldn’t have liked that much either.

Rachel: This is my favorite question, and I just have to ask it because I remember it [so well]. In 2008, you worked with Dylan and Cole Sprouse. Jayden Smith as well. One of the twins tried to take you on a date [in the show]–what was that like?

Kelsey: I mean honestly? I was so mind-blown. I had no idea Jayden Smith was in the episode, so when I got there on my first day of work at the table read, to my left was Will Smith. He was like “Oh hey, I’m Will” and I was like “what are you doing here?” It was so cool because he was from a sitcom background with Fresh Prince, so he really was like a second director and just helped all of us kind of get through that week. But, yeah, the boys were super cool and very cute.

Rachel: Didn’t you have to kiss one of them on the cheek?

Kelsey: I had to kiss Dylan. Dylan was my second kiss on-screen.

Toby: Who was your first?

Kelsey: James Lafferty who was on One Tree Hill.

Rachel: Speaking of One Tree Hill and Suite Life of Zack and Cody, who is the most famous person you have worked with?

Kelsey: Probably Kevin Costner.

Frank: How is he?

Kelsey: He’s a sweetie. He’s also a really good leader. He’s been in this industry so long as an actor, director, producer, and he really carries the show. He’s always a team player and is especially gracious to our guest actors and gives them extra time. He’s great. He’s all he is cracked up to be.

Rachel: Have you ever had a weird fan encounter?

Kelsey: I got a free bottle of wine on a plane!

Toby: I’ve been acting since I was in Kindergarten, when did you start acting?

Kelsey: I did school plays here and I did community theater in Columbia (Workshop Theater). I loved community theater, its such a good experience and you work with people who have 9 to 5’s and then make time because they really love it. I started community theater when I was eleven and got One Tree Hill when I was thirteen.

Rachel: You did Millie Lewis [a modeling agency] as well, right? How long were you at Millie Lewis before you got the role on One Tree Hill?

Kelsey: I think I had taken a couple of classes. I met with Ms. Sheila, and the first audition she sent me on was One Tree Hill. I thought it was for a cheerleader, so I went and borrowed my friend’s cheer-leading uniform and they were like “no, no, this is for the school nerd.” I had braces and glasses and really fit the bill.

Rachel: What has been your favorite memory while on set?

Kelsey: We just finished season three [of Yellowstone] and in one of the episodes we were up in the mountains, and we were all by the fire pit under the stars, and Kevin was telling a story. That was the scene and we did it over and over again, and we all had like actual coffee or hot chocolate or whatever we wanted in our cups, and we just listened to Kevin tell a story. It was wonderful.

Rachel: What lesson did you learn in high school that is still with you now?

Kelsey: I think you got to allow yourself to break rules a little bit. Even the way I went to school wasn’t the traditional way, but its why I am where I am. And also, as I’ve gotten older, it’s important to know that you can open doors for yourself, and that you should. And not literal doors, but you can do that too.

Rachel: Is there anything you wish you knew in high school or anything you would have done differently?

Kelsey: I think I would have been a little bit kinder to myself. It was really hard the first couple of years because managing a job and school was really difficult and it felt really isolating. I was really lucky to have amazing friends who I’m still friends with. But you miss out on a lot of get-togethers, and sometimes it was lonely, and so I think just being kinder and easier on myself.

Rachel: Did anyone treat you differently after One Tree Hill?

Kelsey: No, honestly the Hammond community was incredibly supportive. They fully embraced me and gave me support in academics and in friendships.