A Sit-Down With Mamma Mia! Stars Rebekah and James

Rebekah Adams (center) sings her heart out.

Jo Stephens, Writer

Last month, the Hammond Drama Department performed the popular musical Mamma Mia! as their spring production. In preparation for this event, I sat down with senior leads Rebekah Adams and James Runge to talk about their experiences as members of the Hammond Drama Department.

Question: What’s your favorite memory from being a part of the Hammond Drama Department?

James Runge: This will be my tenth show at Hammond and I have tons of great memories involving this program. My favorite moment would have to be last semester playing George Bailey in “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I had played one of the kids in fifth grade when Hammond did this play for the first time, and getting the chance to have the lead role seven years later was beyond belief. Yes, it was a ton of work but standing on the stage that final performance was something I will never forget.

Q: Has your friendship with James made these roles more interesting or enjoyable to play?

Rebekah Adams: It has been great working with James, and the fact that we are such good friends makes it even better! We’re not afraid to criticize each other, and it makes our scenes even better! James is so talented and so experienced, and it’s really an honor working with him.

Q: What advice would you give to underclassmen hoping to get lead roles in future productions?

JR: My advice would be that it is a marathon, not a sprint. I had always loved being in plays and thought that I was talented enough to start receiving bigger roles once I entered High School. I quickly learned that while you need to be a good actor, you also need to have experience to take on a lead role. I played three years on minor roles until I got my first lead role. I definitely wanted bigger roles early on, but I accepted what Ms. K casted and I knew that if I gave all I had for these roles, I could work my way to the top. Nothing is going to be handed to you. You have to put in the time and work and the benefits will come. But after being smaller roles for 3 years, getting that lead role last semester made everything I had done in the previous years worth it.

Q: How has your time as a part of the Hammond Drama Department shaped your time here at Hammond? Do you have any regrets?

RA: The only thing I regrets is not participating more! My Hammond experience would not be the same without the theatre!

JR: All my time with the drama department has definitely impacted my life at Hammond. It is a time commitment for sure, but it’s also a way to forget about the stress a normal school day brings. Once you go to play practice, it allows you to forget about the bad day you’ve had and allows you to live in a different reality for 2-5 hours. I have been at Hammond from 7 AM-10PM due to the play, but even after being at school and sports practice for 11 hours, I still get excited to stay at school for four more hours. When it comes to regrets, I can not think of any. I have been in every play I could be and while at times during those plays I wish I had not tried out, the end is always worth all the struggle that the beginning and middle brings.

Q: In one word, how would you describe your experience working on Mamma Mia?

JR: Bittersweet.

RA: Amazing.