Hammond Holds First Career Night

Jo Stephens, Staff Writer

Hammond’s first Career Networking Night was on Sunday, January 13. Twenty-eight panelists convened in the Innovation Center to discuss their careers with approximately twenty-five members of the junior and senior classes.

The panelists spanned four main categories: Government, Business, Arts and Education, and Medicine. Students interested in those topics were not only able to sit and listen to the panelists but were also given the opportunity to ask questions.

After the sessions were complete, students mingled with various members of each panel, giving them the opportunity to form meaningful connections with professionals in their desired field.

All four panels told students that the key to future success was never to underestimate the importance of connecting with professionals. Many panelists stressed it as a crucial skill for success, as it oftentimes provides prospective employees with an advantage.

Dr. William Otis, a member of Hammond’s Class of 1987, originally studied business, even getting his MBA before deciding to go back to school to become a veterinarian. He said, “I think that taking some time to really figure out where your interests and talents lie is crucial. Part of that necessitates having an open mind while you are in college — be open to all possibilities. I know I was not, and looking back, that was a mistake.”

Another panelist, Mrs. Rebecca Penland, who now works as an elementary school art teacher, made a similar comment: “I did not know I always wanted to teach. After graduating from Hammond, I experienced more things that I did not want to do than jobs that I wanted to do!” Several other panelists made similar statements, reinforcing that an open mind is one of the most powerful tools one can have in college.

Students had mostly positive reactions to the event. Rosemary Angel, a senior, said, “I was especially interested in the Arts, Communication, and Education panel, but there was a nonprofit panel that pleasantly surprised me.”

Overall, she felt the experience was a useful one although she did have a couple of suggestions on how the event could continue to improve in coming years: “I think they need to put the word out there more, and maybe get students involved in the planning. Student input and better advertisement would both help.”

Graydon Davies, a junior, also had advice on how to improve: “I think you should be able to pick specific panels and then make those longer… that way you can focus on things you care about.”

That being said, Graydon found the Networking Night helpful. When asked if Hammond should continue to implement this event, he said, “Absolutely, yes!”